35+ awesome gifts for your favorite seamstress 2019
Does your mom (or maybe grandma, sister, daughter, wife, friend) love to sew? Try to get her something nice and useful that has to do with sewing. There are so many really great gift ideas for people who sew.
Here are some of my favorites.
Note: Some of the links on this page are affiliate links. This means I will receive a commission if you order a product through one of my links. I only recommend products I believe in and use myself.
Black Friday is coming. Don’t miss out on the hottest deals!
With more than 100 million members worldwide, Amazon Prime gives customers access to streaming video, free shipping, Prime Day discounts, and a variety of other Amazon-specific services and deals for $119 per year. For many, the service is a no-brainer for the shipping perks alone, but there’s a lot more to a Prime membership than free shipping and streaming services.
Stress-free gifts for beginner sewers
What is a serger? It’s a type of sewing machines that cut, stitch and neaten the edge at the same time. It makes seams you see in T-shirts and other knit garments. Serger usually run at high speeds and are used for edging, hemming and seaming a variety of fabrics and products.
They are not too expensive and work very well. If it is a first serger I would avoid the complicated ones that do coverstitch and many other types of stitches. A good basic serger is all a beginner sewer needs.
One of the best selling sergers is
2. Embroidery machine
With a modern embroidery machine, you can create awesome designs that are perfectly stitched in a fraction of the time of hand stitching. You simply place the fabric into the frame and let the machine do the work!
Embroidery machines bring out the artist in you so you can “paint” (actually, stitch) a masterpiece in thread. From baby onesies to evening gowns to gorgeous quilts, the creative possibilities are endless.
When I was a beginner I had my simple and inexpensive embroidery machine and put an embroidery practically on everything I made. Now my embroidery machine costs more than my car. But the machines below are great compromises between functionality and price.
Singer Superb EM200 Embroidery Only Machine
- 200 Embroidery Designs + 6 Alphabet Options
- Extra-Large Embroidery Area
- 2 Snap-On Embroidery Hoops Included
- Complimentary Downloadable Software
- LCD Touch Screen
- USB Embroidery Stick Transfer
- 7 ⅞” Work Area
- Automatic Needle Threader
- 3 Staybright LED Lights
- Automatic Thread Tension
- Thread Cutter
- Bobbin Winding while Embroidering
- Updateable Software
- Universal Power Supply
- Start/Stop Button
- Supports Multi Hoop Sizes
- Accessories Included
- Optional Software Available
Brother PE550D 4in x 4in Embroidery Machine with Built in Disney Designs
- Accessory Storage
- 7 Feed Dog Points
- LED Lighting
- Needle Stop Position Up/Down
- Automatic Needle Threading System
- Quick Set Bobbin
- Realistic Preview
- UL/CSA Listed
- 110V UL/CSA Listed Voltage
- 15 lbs.
- 16.5″ W x 12.08″ D x 7.76″ H
- Built-In Alphabet Designs
- Built-In Border Function
- Curved Text on Screen Editing
- Drag and Drop Editing
- On-Screen Editing
- 4″ x 4″ Embroidery Hoop Included
- 1/2/25 Year Limited Warranty
3. Dressmaking shears
It ’s incredibly useful to have good sewing scissors. There are many different types and brands but these Dressmaker Shears offer a longer cut ideal for cutting patterns, trimming seams or cutting long swaths of fabric. These versatile shears feature long, precision-ground, knife-edge blades that cut multiple layers of fabric easily, all the way to the tip. A double-plated chrome-over-nickel blade finish is both striking and durable, and the bent-handle design helps hold fabric flat on a tabletop or counter for smooth, comfortable, mistake-free cutting.
And they have almost 2000 reviews (and 4.8 out of 5 rating).
Kai 5210 8-inch Dressmaking Shears (N5210)
LIVINGO Premium Tailor Scissors Heavy Duty Multi-Purpose Titanium Coating Forged Stainless Steel Sewing Fabric Leather Dressmaking Softgrip Shears
4. Sewing clips (Wonder clips)
These clips are FANTASTIC: they are so much quicker and easier than sewing pins, both for putting-on and for taking-off. These are really great quality and are super strong and have a great holding power. The variety of colors somehow makes them extra fun to use — more like a toy than a tool.
5. Thread Rack
These are just what any sewer needs to get threads organized. I had over 10 spools of blue threads and didn’t know it. Now I do. It’s just wonderful to be able to see most of my spools so easily displayed. No more digging around trying to find the right color OR buying the same color because I couldn’t find it!
This rack below is nice, solid piece, well made with no rough edges. All spool pegs are solidly in place.
6. Thread set
The more you sew the more different color threads you will need, right? If you work with red fabric you can’t use black or white threads. These colors are bright and can match many fabrics. The thread is actually strong and never snaps.
Whether you want to add to a color collection or start a new one, this is a very useful gift.
Awesome gifts for advanced sewers
Sergers have made sewing projects faster and more professionally ﬁnished than ever before.
I am an advanced sewer and I don’t want a basic serger anymore, I used my Singer for 10 years but now I would like the ultimate serger, top-of-the-line machine with the self-threading feature so I can get the one-step professional finish for my garments with the power and precision of Juki sergers.
Check my review of Juki MO-2000 here (unfortunately, Amazon doesn’t sell this model). But Juki MO-1000 is a similar machine.
- Effortless Threading With the Power of Air!
- Adjustable Differential Feed
- Upper Looper Converter 2-/3- Thread Conversion
- Automatic rolled hemming
- Option to deactivate upper knife
2. Coverstitch machine
With a coverstitch machine you can do hemming of knit and other stretchy garments more easily, quickly and with more precision than you ever had before. If you are disappointed with the quality of hems you are getting with twin needles it’s time to buy the coverstitch.
I have a Janome CoverPro and I absolutely love this machine. Makes my knit clothes look incredibly professional. It’s very easy to rethread for different colors to match clothing. There are multiple videos on YouTube to teach you the basics. Of course by now there are newer versions of the machine, both from Janome and Brother and the prices are no longer prohibitively high. Check out the two machines below: Janome 1000CPX Cover Pro and Brother CV3440 Single Sided Cover Stitch Machine.
Janome 1000CPX Cover Pro w/ FREE BONUS PACKAGE
- Number of Needles: 1, 2, or 3
- Bed Type: Free arm/ flat bed convertible
- Skeleton type body constructions
- Folding carrying handle
- Size: W414 x H335 x D243mm
- Arm Space to the right of the Needle: 143x100mm
- Weight: 8.6kg
- Maximum Speed: 1,000 spm
- Quick Reference Sticker on front of machine
- Manual (built-in) thread tension
- Thread tension device that interlocks with presser foot
- Foot pressure adjustment with guide lines
- Stitch Types: 1 needle, 2 thread chain stitch
- 2 needle, 3 thread cover stitch
- 3 needle, 4 thread triple cover stitch
- Stitch width (2 needles): 6mm (standard), 3mm (narrow)
- Stitch width (3 needles): 6mm (3mm + 3mm)
- Stitch length: 1 – 4mm
- Differential feed ration: 0.5 – 2.2.5
- Seam Tightening System
Brother CV3440 Single Sided Cover Stitch Machine
The Brother CV3440 Cover Stitch allows you to create a wide range of cover stitches on many types and weights of fabric for both decorative and constructive applications. It features single sided tri-cover stitches, wide cover stitches, and narrow cover stitches as well as the chain stitch. Other highlights include a large work space, free arm, thread cutter, LED light, color coded easy looper threading, and snap on feet. The adjustment dials for stitch length and differential feed are now conveniently located on the right-hand side of the machine. With 3 needles and one looper thread, the CV3440 can create professional hems, chain stitching, and decorative stitching.
3. Cutting machine
If you like to sew you certainly heard by now about home cutting machines. They are incredible! Some of them cut not only paper but also all types of fabric too – everything from silk to cotton and denim, they cut leather also! The two below are reasonably priced and have excellent reviews: Cricut Maker and Cricut Explore Air 2.
4. Cricut EasyPress
If you need to heat press shapes that you have cut with your Cricut machines, then Cricut EasyPress gives you professional iron-on results. It eliminates guesswork so you get fast and foolproof results that really stick, even after repeated washes. It’s ideal for foil, glitter and metallic projects as well as large and layered projects. Easypress is lightweight, portable, easy to store machine.It is available in multiple colors too!
6. Presser Foot Set 32 PCS
The right presser foot enhances your project with touches that your sewing machine otherwise could not. The Madam Sew Presser Feet Kit lets you sew precise lines and add stunning embellishments to quilts, clothes and pillows. This set with its innovative adapter is designed for use with low-shank models of popular brand sewing machines including Singer, Brother, Husqvarna Viking, Babylock, Euro-Pro, Janome, Kenmore and White. I have one of those and I have to confess for a couple of them I had to actually research to find out what they do! The possibilities are endless.
7. Curved Embroidery Scissors
They are so useful for cutting any sewing thread, embroidery thread or yarn without any risk of cutting the fabric or item you are working on. These scissors are wonderful for machine applique projects. These are sharp and have the perfect angle to cut the fabric extra close to the applique. You see below two excellent examples (above is a link to Amazon for the same product): Gingher 6 inch Double-Curved Machine Embroidery Scissors and Kai 5130DC 5 Inch Double Curved Embroidery Scissors.
Gingher 6 inch Double-Curved Machine Embroidery Scissors
Funny gifts for sewers
Buy funny gifts for sewers here
Sewing Quilting One Yard of Fabric Unique Gifts Funny Coffee Mug
- Quilter Mug Fabric
Best Gift Idea For Quilter, Quilters Gifts, Sewing Mug, Quilting Mugs, Best Sewing Present, Awesome Color Changing Mug, Favorite Seamstress Coffee Cup
- PERFECT GIFT FOR THE QUILTER IN YOUR LIFE. Give them a gift that shows how much you value what they love, too. This high quality mug designed exclusively by Lilac Creations makes the perfect gift for your favorite seamstress who can't step away from the sewing machine
- GREAT WAY to show how much you or someone you know loves turning fabric into works of art
- Printed, packaged, and shipped from the USA. ***Please note the color changing mugs will last longer if washed by hand and not placed in the microwave.**** Ceramic, Lead Free. Printed on both sides of the mug so that no matter which hand holds the mug the design can be seen.
- PRINTED ON ONLY THE HIGHEST QUALITY MUGS, designed only by Lilac Creations. This is an 11 oz mug, photo included of larger mugs available in other listings we offer for comparison.
- Shipped in a CUSTOM MADE STYROFOAM PACKAGE to ensure it arrives perfect. GUARANTEED. Awesome Heat Sensitive, Cold Sensitive, Magic Mug
Best Gift For Quilter, Handsewn Gift Mug, Favorite Seamstress Coffee Cup, Funny Quilting Mug, Best Sewing Present
- Perfect Gift for the Quilter in your life. Give them a gift that shows how much you value what they love, too. This high quality mug designed exclusively by Lilac Creations makes the perfect gift for your favorite seamstress who can't step away from the sewing machine
- Great way to show how much you or someone you know loves turning fabric into works of art
- Printed, packaged, and shipped from the USA. 100% Dishwasher and Microwave safe. Ceramic Lead Free, Design printed on both sides of the mug so no matter which hand is holding the mug the design can be seen.
- Printed on only the highest quality mugs, designed only by Lilac Creations. The print will never fade no matter how many times it is washed.
Unique gifts for sewers
1. Sewing machine music box
Not everybody likes music boxes, but if your mom or grandma does, this is ideal. To borrow from a review: “I bought this for mother’s day. I gave it to my grandma. She loved it. It’s so beautiful. If you’re thinking about buying it stop thinking and just buy it !”
2. Echo speaker with Alexa
Why is it a good gift for sewers? Because using nothing but the sound of your voice, you can play music and listen your favorite podcast while you sew, search the Web (like asking for example when the first ever sewing machine was made) while you sew, create to-do and shopping lists while you sew, even shop online on Amazon while you sew, get instant weather reports, and control popular smart-home products—all while you sew and your smartphone stays in your pocket. And that is where the phone should stay, it is a major distraction!
3. Adjustable swivel chair
A comfortable chair is not only a comfort issue, it is a must because a chair that makes you move all the time to find a good position, or a chair that makes your back sweat, is a liability when sewing. I personally prefer chairs with a mesh or cloth seat and back, but this is a personal preference. I do not like leather seats because they may be comfortable in the beginning, but after a while I find that my skin sticks to the leather (or vinyl). I like both chairs presented below, I personally like better the one with a mesh back.
4. Applique Scissors Paddle Shaped
These are irreplaceable when it comes to cutting very close to the stitch! Below are two examples: Gingher 6 Inch Knife Edge Applique Scissors and The Duckling – Duckbill Applique scissor 4-1/2″.
5. Snap Hoop Monster Magnetic Embroidery Hoop
A magnetic hoop is not cheap, but for certain materials (leather, for example) it is extremely useful. I am discussing this in my article “Machine embroidery on leather: how to get it right“. Two examples below (8″x8″ and 7″x12”):
6. Pink Power Electric Fabric Scissors
For thick materials or multiple layers, a good pair of electric scissors are very useful.
7. Thread Spool Huggers
Tired of tangled threads? Dirty ends? Try these, they really work, and the cost is very low!
Inexpensive gifts for sewers
1. Rotary cutter
When used right, the rotary cutter is a time and effort saver. I find a good rotary cutter an essential tool if you are serious about sewing. I have written in detail about this in my article “Rotary cutter tips and tricks“
2. Cutting Mat
A cutting mat makes the cutting much easier, and saves your table in the process! Certainly, you can use a piece of plywood or even cardboard if you don’t have a mat, but I find the markings and the fact that the mat adheres to the table and does not move essential. Besides, the piece of cardboard is ugly!
3. Fabric weights
I use most of the time stone weights because I have a large collection of stone figurines and other items. However they are also available for purchase, below are two good examples:
4. Velcro Hook & Loop Fastening Tape ( different colors)
Sometimes Velcro fastening is necessary; I used it myself when making a case for my tablet “DIY tablet case/cover sewing tutorial“. The tape is available in many colors as well as in black and white.
5. POM POM TRIM
6. Leather Craft Basic Stitching Sewing Hand Tool Set
7. Machine Embroidery Stabilizer Backing
8. Extra-Fine Chalk Pencil
Wow, this guide about stress-free gifts for sewers is getting too long but I still have so many gift ideas for people who sew. I guess I will have to start a new guide (for example, about useful books, courses and magazines) and finish this one.
I am curious – what are the best gifts you (as a sewer) have ever received? If you could have anything you want in your sewing world what is the one gift that will bring you the most joy? I hope to see your answer in the comments below.
Did you like this guide? If you want to keep this list handy and to use it later when you are ready to buy gifts, pin the first image of the guide to your sewing board on Pinterest and follow me on Pinterest for more tips, tutorials and inspiration. Or consider sharing it on Facebook.