Amazon best sellers in sergers/overlocks and coverstitch machines
Note: Some of the links on this page are affiliate links. This means I will receive a commission if you order a product through one of my links. I only recommend products I believe in and use myself.
I compiled a list of “best selling” sergers in November 2017 because at the time I was asked to give my opinion about a good entry level serger; I personally still like very much my trusted Janome 990D. The Janome 990D is still sold by some stores ( ex. Sewingmachinesplus.com, Inc., the direct link to it is here) but of course by now there are a number of newer models from Janome and other manufacturers, I myself have reviewed the excellent Juki MO-2000. Of course this is in a different price class than an entry-level serger.
In November 2017 the list was as follows
1. Brother 1034D 3/4 Thread Serger
2. SINGER 14CG754 ProFinish Serger
3. JUKI MO644D Portable Serger
4. Brother 3234DT 2, 3, or 4 Thread Serger with Differential Feed
5. SINGER 14SH6540 Differential-Feed Serger
6. Brother Designio Series DZ1234 Serger
7. Janome MyLock 634D
8. Juki MO-735 5-Thread Serger & Cover Hem
9. Janome Cover Pro 1000CPX Coverstitch Machine
10. Juki MCS-1500 Cover Stitch and Chain Stitch Machine
How does the list look like now ? See below. Please note: I will only consider machines that have good reviews. Machines with a large number of negative reviews will be skipped even if in the best selling list. Also, since the list is based on the volume of sales, do not expect to find high-end machines here; most are entry level, some are older models. I don’t own any of them though, as I said my current workhorse is a Janome 990d and I am looking forward to the day I can afford a Juki MO-2000!
I have a piece of advice though: like with all purchases, you should carefully evaluate your needs ( what kind of stitches you really need ) and situation ( how far are you from a service center, should things go wrong ) and then buy the best machine that you can afford. If maintained properly, a good serger will serve you faithfully for years. You will grow to know it, its quirks, its good and bad points, and in time you will also learn to use it better and better.
Brother R1634D 3 or 4 Thread Serger with Differential Feed, White (Renewed)
$150.35 in stock
- 3 or 4 thread capability: with 1-needle 3-thread, or 2-needle 4-thread overlock options
- Perfect for finishing, home décor and creative fashion sewing
- Create ruffles, blind hems, rolled hems, insert zippers and more
- For both knits and woven fabrics
- Easy to follow, color coded lay-in threading
SINGER Serger 2-3-4 Thread Capability Overlock with Blind, Rolled Hems and Flatlocking, Take Your Creations to The Next Level, White
- SINGER SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER ProFinish 14CG754 Serger has 2-3-4 thread capability providing a wide selection of stitch options for all types of projects with professional results every time
- ADJUSTABLE STITCH LENGTH SEWING MACHINE: Adjustable stitch length and width, differential feed and color-coded lay-in threading provide ease of use
- PORTABLE SEWING MACHINE: Carry handle makes it easy to transport your serger
- FREE ARM SEWING MACHINE: The optional free arm lets you easily sew sleeves and cuffs. At 1, 300 stitches-per-minute with automatic fabric trimming, this machine will have you zipping through projects from day one
- 4 BUILT-IN ROLLED HEMS: Converting to the Rolled Hem sewing mode is effortless. An easy access lever moves the stitch finger in position for rolled hemming
Crafter's Companion Gemini Lock Pro Serger, Color-Coded Threading Guide, Dial Stitch Length, Presser Foot Pressure Adjustment
- 16 stitch settings including 3 and 4 thread overlocking
- Stitch width up to 7mm, Stitch length up to 4mm
- Lightweight but sturdy, Thread chain trimmer
- 4 types of easy rolled hems, Heavy duty cutting system
- Flatlock using 2 thread or 3 thread
Brother Serger, ST4031HD, Strong and Tough Serger, Durable Metal Frame Construction, Large Extension Table, 1,300 Stitches Per Minute
$233.43 in stock
1 used from $ 211.27
- DURABLE HEAVY-DUTY SERGER: The Brother ST4031HD is a durable, heavy-duty serger manufactured with a metal frame and interior components.
- HIGH PERFORMANCE SURGER: This Brother serger is a reliable, high-performance 3 or 4 thread serger that can handle multiple layers of denim with ease.
- LARGE EXTENSION TABLE: The ST4031HD includes a large extension table that helps to prevent heavy fabric from pulling the needle and thread.
- SMOOTHER CUTTING EDGE: A high durability blade is made from extra hard metal that produces a smoother cut edge and a professional finish.
- 1,300 STITCHES PER MINUTE: Get more serging done faster by sewing up to 1,300 stitches per minute. Control the speed with the foot pedal.
Juki MCS-1500 Cover Stitch and Chain Stitch Machine
1 used from $ 603.70
- Cover stitch. Perfect for various applications such as simple hems, sleeve cuffs and necklines. Since the stitching stretches, it is ideal for stretch fabrics
- Chain Stitch. Since the lower thread forms a chain on the wrong side of the fabric, the stitch is strong when it is stretched making it ideal for stitching the waist and side seams of pants. It also does well as decorative stitching for necklines
- Presser Foot Lifter. The presser foot is higher as its tip in order to allow the fabric to be easily inserted at the start of sewing. In addition, raising the presser foot lifter to the first position raises the presser foot to 10mm
- Adjustable differential feed - Adjust the differential feed to sew beautiful finishes, even with stretch fabrics such as knits and georgette
- Simple looper threading - The looper can easily be threaded since it can be lowered at the press of a button
Juki 1-Needle, 3-Thread Overlock Machine MO-623
1 used from $ 222.30
- No need to change needle plate to convert to rolled hem, its built in!
- 3 Thread for Overcasting; 2-Thread Adaptor Available
- Disengageable Knife Cutting Mechanism
- Up to 1500 Stitches Per Minute Speed
- Adjustable Stitch Length and Cutting Width
Janome 7933 Serger with Lay-In Threading, 3 and 4 Thread Convertible with Differential Feed
$289.00 in stock
|EAN List||EAN List Element: 0732212267277|
|Package Dimensions||Height: 1310; Length: 1530; Weight: 1710; Width: 1460|
|Product Group||Art and Craft Supply|
|Product Type Name||ART_AND_CRAFT_SUPPLY|
|Title||Janome 7933 Serger with Lay-In Threading, 3 and 4 Thread Convertible with Differential Feed|
|UPC List||UPC List Element: 732212267277|
Brother Designio Series DZ1234 Serger
$229.63 in stock
3 used from $ 213.56
- The DZ1234 Serger includes Blind Hem Stitch Foot, Gathering Foot and Piping Foot, plus 2 sets of starter thread to give you everything you need to create customized, high-end finishes on all your designs. More than a $75 value!
- Sew up to 1,300 stitches per minute to create couture-level fashions faster than ever.
- Enjoy reliable, Easy Color-Coded Threading so you no longer have to struggle to thread your serger.
- The Differential Fabric Feed offers a 0.7 - 2.0 ratio on many fabrics, even lightweight knits, offering durable and consistent stitch quality virtually every time.
- The stitch width can be easily adjusted between 3.0mm and 7.0mm, helping to provide the perfect stitch width for your project
Brother Serger, 1034DX, 3/4 Thread Serger with Differential Feed, 3 or 4 Thread Capability, 1,300 Stitches Per Minute, Color-Coded Threading Guides
- PERFECT FOR MULTIPLE PROJECTS: The Brother 3/4 Serger lets you to expand your options for finishing, home décor, creative fashion sewing, and more
- 3 or 4 THREAD CAPABILITY: This serger works great with either 3 or 4 threads for added flexibility for overlock seam or overlock stitching projects
- UP TO 1,300 STITCHES PER MINUTE: Get more serging done faster with the ability to sew up to 1,300 stitches per minute; UL/CSA Listed Voltage: 110 volts
- COLOR-CODED THREADING: The Brother 1034DX Serger includes color-coded guides printed on the machine to show you where to place each thread
- CONVENIENT STITCH CONTROL: Turn the stitch width adjustment dial to change the width between 5mm (3/16") and 7mm (9/32"). Stitch length - 2.0 - 4.0mm.Maximum Sewing Speed (Stitches Per Minute):1300
SINGER | Finishing Touch 14SH6540 Differential-Feed Serger Sewing Machine including 4-3 Stitch Configuration, Color-Coded Lay-in Threading System
3 used from $ 176.73
- SINGER SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Finishing Touch 14SH6540 Serger machine has 4-3 thread capability providing a wide selection of stitch options for all types of projects with professional results every time.
- SEWING SPEED: The SINGER Finishing Touch 14SH6540 serger has a maximum sewing speed of 1,300 stitches-per-minute, so projects can be sewn quickly.
- BEST SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Finishing Touch 14SH6540 serger has a wide range of stitch options for sewing seams, hems, decorative edges, rolled hems, cover hems, and more.
- SEWING MACHINE ACCESSORIES: A variety of accessories are included with all-Purpose Foot, Needle Set, Tweezers, Spreader, Screwdrivers, Clean Pocket, Spare Cutting Knife, Spool Caps, Anti-Spill Thread Net, Oiler, Brush, Cone Adapters, Soft-Sided Dust Cover, CD Workbook Included, Instruction Manual with included Stitch Guide, Foot Control, Power Cord.
- WARRANTY: The SINGER Finishing Touch 14SH6540 Serger has 25 Year Limited Warranty.